Galena History Museum: Exhibits and Attractions
The Galena History Museum is located on 211 S. Bench Street in Galena, Illinois and is one of the favorite jewels of the town. The Museum has 7,000 square feet of exhibit space and is housed in a beautiful 1858 Italianate mansion. There is a small entrance fee to the Museum however children under 10 are free. The Gift Shop is open to the public and has a large selection of books, games, historic toys and Galena souvenirs. The Galena History Museum is open daily year round from 9-4:30 p.m. The following is a sample of what may be found at the Museum but come see the intrigue of this outstanding museum for yourself!
1. History of Galena---View an exciting 16 minute video detailing Galena's fascinating history. Discover how Galena became a lead mine boom town and major steamboat port.
2. An Authentic Lead Mine---See an authentic lead ore mineral shaft right in the museum! Learn how lead and zinc mining shaped the future of Jo Daviess County.
3. Celebrate Grant, Galena and 9 Civil War Generals All From Galena---9 Civil War Generals including Ulysses S. Grant are showcased in the Museum. Exhibits feature original weaponry, prints, letters and many Civil War artifacts.
4. Soldiers' Stories---- View the famous original oil painting "Peace in Union", a 9 x 12 picture, showing General Lee surrendering to General Grant at Appomattox in 1865. This Thomas Nast painting is a true treasure to be found in Galena. Also view the famous Flag of Admiral Perry from the War of 1812. Residents of Jo Daviess County have fought in wars as far back as the Revolutionary War. Experience war throught the eyes of soldiers and learn their fates.
5. Natural History of Jo Daviess County---Learn how glaciers spared this unique corner of Illinois. View a large landform map and discover how the Galena River, now a small stream, has been both savior and tormentor. Trace the history of the river and Galena to the present day.
View the many other exhibits at the Galena History Museum and you will be glad you did!