10 Ways to Save Money and Make Memories in Galena Illinois
Innkeepers Mike and Anita Reese from the Queen Anne Guest House know how to help their guests have a great time in Galena Illinois and the surrounding area while saving money. It's always good to know that you don't have to spend a fortune to have fun and we can provide some low to no cost activitiy ideas to help you make memories in Galena. Please call us for any questions on any events listed below.
10. Casper Bluff Land and Water Reserve--- Have a picnic in this well kept secret of Jo Daviess County. Casper Bluff is an 85 acre area that is home to a rare effigy mound in the shape of a thunderbird along with several other types of Native American mounds. Enjoy a most spectacular view of the Mississippi River. There is no cost.
9. Grant Home---The home of Ulysses S. Grant, 18th president of the United States, and Civil War hero, is open to the public. Unlike most other historic places of interest, the Grant Home boasts of 90% of the artifacts displayed actually did belong to President Grant. There is a small suggested donation for entrance fee but well worth each penny. The Elihu B. Washburne House is also a state historic site for tour. Mr Washburne was a close friend and political ally of President Grant. The Old Market House State Historic Site offers a regular exhibit of Grant artifacts to the public.
8. Galena History Museum---The museum showcases 9 Civil War Generals, all from Galena, as well as many other Civil War artifacts. The famous painting Peace in Union by Thomas Nast is located at the museum. This 9x12 painting depicts General Lee surrounding to General Grant at Appomattox in 1865. Also on display is the flag on Admiral Perry from the War of 1812. There is even an authentic lead mine shaft in the museum! 2010 brings two new exhibitions to the museum entitiled Citizen Grant: 1860-1861 and General Grant on the Battlefield. The museum is located on Bench St. in Galena, Illinois. There is a small admission fee but children under 10 are free. The gift shop at the museum is open to the public. See our expanded article "Galena History Museum: Exhibits and Attractions" for additional details about the museum.
7. Galena River Trail---You can begin your adventure on the Galena River Trial just a few blocks from the Queen Anne Guest House. This 3.5 mile trial (each way) can be hiked or biked and would be considered an easy trail for everyone. Marked every half mile for your convenience,the trail follows the Galena River toward the backwaters of the Mississippi River. The tree lined canopy provides shade and a bit of coolness even in the hottest days of summer. As we have biked along the trail, we have seen a variety of wildlife such as deer, coyote, turtles, ducks, an occassional snake and even a mink!
6. Self Guided Walking Tours---Self Guided Walking Tour brochures are available at the Old Train Depot Visitor Information Center in Galena, Illinois. Leisurely stroll on Park Ave and read about the homes and the original owners. The Queen Anne Guest House is highlighted on the walking tour. The historic DeSoto House Hotel also provides free brochures of the hotel in the lobby. In addition view the video playing at the hotel to get a quick review of the history of Galena. These self guided walking tours are free and perfect for those interested in history and architecture.
5. The Old Blacksmith Shop---Monday through Friday visitors can watch a true blacksmith work and experience a living history museum. The Old Blacksmith Shop is located at the corner of Franklin and Commerce Streets and is within easy walking distance from the Queen Anne Guest House. This is a free activity.
4. Fenelon Place Elevator-- Visit "the world's steepest, shortest scenic railway, 296 feet in length, elevating passengers 189 feet from Fourth Street to Fenelon Place. Magnificent view of the business district, the Mississippi River and three states." Only $2 round trip for adults and $1 for children. Located in Dubuque, Iowa just 11 miles from Galena, Illinois. For more details see the Fenelon Place Elevator article.
3. Field of Dreams Movie Site---Visit this famous national highlight of any vacation. Admission is free and is open daily from April through November, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Take a baseball and bat compliments from the Queen Anne Guest House and bat a few balls, play a little catch and run the bases or just sit and dream on the bleachers. For more details see the Field of Dreams Movie Site article.
2. Walking Tours from Galena History Museum---Take a one hour walking tour of Galena's Main Street every Saturday, May through October. Tours begin at 10:00 a.m. in the lobby of the DeSoto House Hotel.
1. Lodging--The Queen Anne Guest House is the perfect choice for your lodging needs and best value for your dollar. Room rates include our award winning breakfast as well as Parlor Party where treats and refreshments are served. Take advantage of our Stay More, Save More special. Call today for reservations!